Computer forensics or digital forensics is a time period in computer science to obtain legal proof found in digital media or computers storage. With digital forensic investigation, the investigator can discover what happened to the digital media similar to emails, hard disk, logs, computer system, and the network itself. In many case, forensic investigation can produce how the crime might happened and the way we are able to shield ourselves towards it subsequent time.
Some the reason why we need to conduct a forensic investigation: 1. To gather evidences in order that it may be used in court docket to unravel authorized cases. 2. To investigate our network strength, and to fill the safety gap with patches and fixes. 3. To get well deleted information or any recordsdata within the event of hardware or software failure
In computer forensics, a very powerful issues that should be remembered when conducting the investigation are:
1. The unique evidence must not be altered in in any case, and to do conduct the process, forensic investigator must make a bit-stream image. Bit-stream image is a little by little copy of the original storage medium and precise copy of the original media. The difference between a bit-stream image and normal copy of the unique storage is bit-stream image is the slack house within the storage. You will not find any slack house data on a copy media.
2. All forensic processes should observe the authorized legal guidelines in corresponding country the place the crimes happened. Every country has completely different law suit in IT field. Some take IT rules very significantly, for instance: United Kingdom, Australia.
3. All forensic processes can only be carried out after the investigator has the search warrant.
Forensic investigators would normally looking on the timeline of how the crimes occurred in well timed manner. With that, we can produce the crime scene about how, when, what and why crimes may happened. In an enormous company, it is prompt to create a Digital Forensic Crew or First Responder Group, in order that the corporate could still protect the proof until the forensic investigator come to the crime scene.
First Response guidelines are: 1. Not at all ought to anybody, excluding Forensic Analyst, to make any makes an attempt to get better data from any computer system or gadget that holds electronic information. 2. Any try and retrieve the info by person said in number 1, must be avoided because it may compromise the integrity of the evidence, wherein grew to become inadmissible in legal court.
Based mostly on that guidelines, it has already defined the vital roles of having a First Responder Staff in a company. The unqualified particular person can solely secure the perimeter so that nobody can touch the crime scene till Forensic Analyst has come (This can be performed by taking picture of the crime scene. They'll additionally make notes concerning the scene and who had been current at that time.
Steps must be taken when a digital crimes happenred in knowledgeable approach: 1. Safe the crime scene until the forensic analyst arrive.
2. Forensic Analyst must request for the search warrant from local authorities or firm's management.
3. Forensic Analyst make take an image of the crime scene in case of if there is no any photographs has been taken.
4. If the computer is still powered on, do not turned off the computer. As an alternative, used a forensic tools such as Helix to get some data that can solely be found when the computer is still powered on, akin to knowledge on RAM, and registries. Such instruments has it is particular operate as not to write something back to the system so the integrity keep intake.
5. Once all live proof is collected, Forensic Analyst cant turned off the computer and Coquitlam
take harddisk back to forensic lab.
6. All the evidences have to be documented, through which chain of custody is used. Chain of Custody maintain data on the proof, corresponding to: who has the evidence for the final time.
7. Securing the proof must be accompanied by legal officer corresponding to police as a formality.
8. Back within the lab, Forensic Analyst take the proof to create bit-stream image, as authentic proof should not be used. Usually, Forensic Analyst will create 2-5 bit-stream image in case 1 image is corrupted. Of course Chain of Custody still used in this scenario to maintain records of the evidence.
9. Hash of the original proof and bit-stream image is created. This acts as a proof that authentic evidence and the bit-stream image is the exact copy. So any alteration on the bit image will result in totally different hash, which makes the evidences discovered develop into inadmissible in court.
10. Forensic Analyst begins to find evidence in the bit-stream image by fastidiously wanting at the corresponding location is determined by what sort of crime has happened. For instance: Temporary Internet Information, Slack House, Deleted File, Steganography files.