or digital forensics is a time period in computer science to obtain authorized evidence present in digital media or computers storage. With digital forensic investigation, the investigator can find what happened to the digital media reminiscent of emails, hard disk, logs, computer system, and the network itself. In lots of case, forensic investigation can produce how the crime may occurred and how we will defend ourselves against it subsequent time.
Some reasons why we have to conduct a forensic investigation: 1. To gather evidences so that it can be utilized in courtroom to resolve legal cases. 2. To investigate our network energy, and to fill the security hole with patches and fixes. 3. To get better deleted recordsdata or any recordsdata within the event of hardware or software program failure
In computer forensics, an important issues that need to be remembered when conducting the investigation are:
1. The unique proof should not be altered in anyways, and to do conduct the method, forensic investigator must make a bit-stream image. Bit-stream image is a bit by bit copy of the unique storage medium and precise copy of the original media. The difference between a bit-stream image and regular copy of the unique storage is bit-stream image is the slack area within the storage. You will not find any slack space data on a duplicate media.
2. All forensic processes should follow the authorized legal guidelines in corresponding nation the place the crimes happened. Every nation has different law suit in IT field. Some take IT guidelines very seriously, for instance: United Kingdom, Australia.
3. All forensic processes can only be performed after the investigator has the search warrant.
Forensic investigators would usually looking at the timeline of how the crimes occurred in well timed manner. With that, we will produce the crime scene about how, when, what and why crimes may happened. In a giant company, it's steered to create a Digital Forensic Staff or First Responder Workforce, in order that the corporate could still preserve the proof until the forensic investigator come to the crime scene.
First Response guidelines are: 1. On no account should anyone, excluding Forensic Analyst, to make any attempts to recuperate data from any computer system or machine that holds electronic information. 2. Any attempt to retrieve the data by particular person stated in number 1, ought to be avoided because it might compromise the integrity of the proof, through which grew to become inadmissible in legal court.
Based mostly on that rules, it has already defined the important roles of having a First Responder Group in a company. The unqualified individual can solely secure the perimeter so that nobody can touch the crime scene till Forensic Analyst has come (This can be accomplished by taking photo of the crime scene. They'll also make notes about the scene and who had been present at that time.
Steps must be taken when a digital crimes occurred in knowledgeable means: 1. Secure the crime scene till the forensic analyst arrive.
2. Forensic Analyst must request for the search warrant from native authorities or company's management.
3. Forensic Analyst make take a picture of the crime scene in case of if there isn't a any images has been taken.
4. If the computer is still powered on, do not turned off the computer. As a substitute, used a forensic tools comparable to Helix to get some info that may only be found when the computer remains to be powered on, comparable to knowledge on RAM, and registries. Such tools has it's special operate as not to write something back to the system so the integrity stay intake.
5. Once all live proof is collected, Forensic Analyst cant turned off the computer and take harddisk back to forensic lab.
6. All of the evidences should be documented, by which chain of custody is used. Chain of Custody keep information on the proof, reminiscent of: who has the proof for the last time.
7. Securing the evidence should be accompanied by authorized officer equivalent to police as a formality.
8. Back in the lab, Forensic Analyst take the proof to create bit-stream image, as original proof must not be used. Normally, Forensic Analyst will create 2-5 bit-stream image in case 1 image is corrupted. In fact Chain of Custody nonetheless used on this situation to keep data of the evidence.
9. Hash of the unique proof and bit-stream image is created. This acts as a proof that authentic proof and the bit-stream image is the exact copy. So any alteration on the bit image will end in different hash, which makes the evidences discovered grow to be inadmissible in court.
10. Forensic Analyst begins to find proof in the bit-stream image by carefully wanting on the corresponding location depends upon what kind of crime has happened. For instance: Momentary Internet Information, Slack House, Deleted File, Steganography files.